<VV> Running on regular with 140s

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Sun May 7 12:47:09 EDT 2006

Hey gang,

Back in the day I rebuilt my '68 140 and it had always
run on regular. I believe back in the early '90s, when
it was last on the road, that still was 87 octane.
We're at 5,280 feet and I drove it daily in Cheyenne,
which is higher.

140/4sp, .030 over
Stock cam
52/50 jets
Bigger-than-stock tires
I swapped transaxles once and I believe what's in
there is now a 3.89.
Distributor rebuilt with 95 hp weights (others not
available at the time) and otherwise stock.
I don't remember exactly, but the timing was in the
10-14 degree BTC range.

Communted twice weekly 125 miles one way at 85 on
I-70. Ran great, never knocked unless I lugged it,
went up the Rockies like a goat, kicked the crap out
of smallblock Fords with the secondaries blocked out.
Even when all the region's stations went to 10%
ethanol, the car was fine.
Considering how hard I pushed it, when I compare this
car to what I've read about the problem either the
problem isn't that big, I had a magic engine, or I am
just that damned good (or lucky).

Now, Orange Crush is on the road. It used to overheat
badly and knock like the Poseidon passengers at the
bottom of the ship.  Most of you won't remember I
corrected 17 problems, the least of which was the
previous owner wouldn't put a nickel in the car unless
it kept it from running and the heads were 90-95%
flashed over.

Specs:

140/PG
I'm sure the engine is stock at 65K because Mr. Big
Spender squeezed the dime until Roosevelt crapped 9
cents.
Primaries have 55 jets, based on Steve Goodman's
advice for that car at altitude and I plated off the
secondaries for now.
Flamethrower electronic ignition, unsure of the
advance. It runs well enough that I didn't check yet.
Stock axle ratio.
Smaller-than-stock cheap radials.

My grandson and I have made several short but fast
trips with the engine turning some fairly high revs
due to the smallish tires. Speeedo says 85 but the
other traffic and the small tires tell me it is more
like 80. By sound, I'd say she turns in the
4,000-4,200 range at cruise.
No knock problems with either midrange or premium when
coming down from a hard drive. I have yet to try
regular. In this case, I haven't been inside the
engine, so I know this isn't because I'm that damned
good.

I supposed a better comparison would be to put bigger
tires on and run it around awhile on regular, but
given my relatively inexpensive success, it will be on
the to-do list for awhile. As little as I drive it
(toy car), it will take me awhile to wear oout those
little tires.

Chuck Kubin