<VV> Corvair a City Car

James Davis jld at wk.net
Sun May 7 21:38:05 EDT 2006

It is not that hard to build a Corvair highway cruiser.  A 3.27 rear
gear with 195/75-14 tires gives 2,585 rpm at 60 or 3,015 rpm at 70
mph.  To get the car rolling use a 64-65 FC 4-sp with the 3.65 low
gear.  This gives about the same total 1st gear reduction as the
64-65 car transmission with a 3.55 rear gear and 7.00 x 13 tires.
This combo with a 140 using a 304 cam straight up and a  9.2:1 cr
with modified squish combustion chamber will yield 30 m/g at 60mph
and 26 m/g at 70 mph on 91/93 octane.  (My Corsa has been that way
since 1986).
Many of you know of my Rampside.  It regularly gets 22 mpg at 70 mph
with the A/C on.  It is a 140 with modified squish heads (9.7:1 cr);
using a Ray Sedman flat cam.  With a 3.55 rear gear turning 27.4" dia
tires, it turns 3,050 mph at 70 mph.  With a 4.26:1 first gear,
getting rolling with a 2,000 tow and 1,000 in the bed is not a problem.

Changing an engine from a cr of 9:1 to 8:1 with no other changes will
drop the power by  5% and the fuel mileage by 7% on the
average.  Using a thicker head gasket on a 140 or 110 will decrease
the squish dramatically; enough to actually increasing the octane
requirements.
Jim Davis