<VV> Corvair a City Car

P.H. Raker n556p at yahoo.com
Sun May 7 20:37:26 EDT 2006

Hello, All,
     I agree completely with Padgett's analysis of the matter.  So,
what is the solution for those who wish to use 'Vairs as long distance
cruisers?  Two possibilities come to mind.
     Alternative final drive gears are available.  If 3.55 gears give
3000rpm at 60mph, then 3.08 gears should give 2603rpm (all other things
being equal).  I believe I have read that 3.08 final drive gears are
readily available to fit in Corvair differentials.  Of course, larger
rear tires would also help to lower curise rpm, but would also hurt
acceleration performance.
     The aftermarket 5-speed transmission with 0.73 (overdrive) top
gear would give 2190rpm with 3.55 gears and 1900rpm with 3.08 gears.
(With the 308 gears and 0.73 overdrive that works out to 2375rpm @
75mph, right at peak torque.)  Now THAT should give some fuel economy
more comparable to the so-called "modern" vehicles.
     Of course, your mileage may vary.
          Phil Raker