<VV> Road Trip!

vairtec at optonline.net vairtec at optonline.net
Mon May 8 11:51:03 EDT 2006

Yesterday (Sunday), my local club was organizing a caravan to the Corvair Ranch Open House for those members interested.  Saturday afternoon I cleaned up the Greenbrier and readied it for the trip.

Sunday morning we met at a Cracker Barrel restaurant, and there my wife Sue, upon determining that she "was the only girl going," decided to let the boys play and she went back home with the Greenbrier.  I jumped into the copilot's seat of Ray Coker's Hugger Orange Corsa coupe.

Beautiful weather, beautiful day.  It's a bit more than three hours from the Cracker Barrel to the Ranch, and we knocked it off with just one stop for fuel.  The Corvairs took within 1.5 gallons of each other.

At the Ranch, we enjoyed browsing through the shop and the yard along with many other people.  Folks came and went all day, and while we were there the high number of visiting Corvairs at one time was 20, plus water-pumpers.  We enjoyed hot dogs, hamburgers and all the usual picnic fixins.  Door prizes and such were also offered, but we were back on the road for the 3+ hour return trip before those were distributed.  I gave my door prize ticket to Pete Koehler -- hey, Pete, what did I win?

Of our group I was the only one who bought something on the spot, an item the Greenbrier needed which I discovered the day before while checking it over.  One more stop for fuel on the way home, and still Ray wouldn't let me pay.  Lotsa funs, lotsa laughs, lotsa thumbs-ups and a free ride to boot!

Too many miles but a relaxing and nice Open House.

--Bob