<VV> Tire Questions

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Tue May 9 12:29:31 EDT 2006

VVers:

I am contemplating changing the tires on my '65 Monza Convertible.  I
have a set that I bought from Kelly Springfield a few years ago but,
frankly, I have NEVER liked the performance.  I LOVED the performance of
the original set that were on the car when I bought it...until the right
rear shredded at 65mph.

I just did a search on Tire Rack, WalMart, and a few direct manufacturer
searches and came up with the following hits for 185/80/13s:

    * Kumho Touring A/S 795 ($34/each, wsw)
    * Goodyear Marathon Radial ($56/each, black sidewall)
    * Cooper Tire Trendsetter SE ($45/each, wsw)
    * Douglas Xtra-Trac ($30/each, wsw)

My questions are:

    * Is anyone currently running on any of these?
    * By brand, what are people's opinions for use on a Corvair?
    * Does anyone have enough experience with these to rank them?
    * Are there any good choices that I missed?

Thanks in advance.

Steven "tired" Serenska
'65 Monza Convertible, 110/4
'66 Corsa Coupe, 140/4