<VV>Cheap Gaz

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Tue May 9 18:53:06 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Padgett" <pp2 at 6007.us>
Subject: Re: <VV>Cheap Gaz

> Now part of the purpose of a squish chamber is to move the fuel-air
mixture
> away from that hottest part of the head. If compression is lowered through
> extra head gaskets rather than opening up the squish chamber then
> detonation becomes more likely, not less.
>
> >Which is what all the interest in ceramic engines is about ... ceramics
work
> >just fine at 2000 degrees F or so.
> But not for gasoline (SI) engines unless you want to build a really light
> one or the elves need an alternative to Cold Iron.
> Because the entire engine must be much more robustly constructed since a
> Compression Ignition (CI) engine is operating at detonation constantly.
> They also often have no throttle plate & run at WOT constantly, control is
> by the amount of fuel injected ....
****************
ken says:  Well sorta ...  I ran in my toy car road racer for a while
diesels that used an air valve ( carburetor ) to control the power .. worked
fine , both air and wet stuff were sucked down the carb venturi ...   also,
remember that on turbo diesels, the turbo serves as an air throttle ... in
both these cases, however, the air flow and turbulence is very high ( racing
does that ), so maybe a slow rpm diesel would have troule keeping diesel oil
aerated & off the cold manifold walls if a carburetor was tried.

> Given all of that, there is No Way a Corvair engine could be converted to
> diesel even with ceramic cylinders, the crank would never take it. If one
> were built it would need to weigh a Lot More.

ken says:::   yep I agree ref diesel corvair ... heck, it seems hard enough
to keep one together with 90 horsepower output (g)....  I think a nice 600cc
twin diesel made from tool steel all the way would make a nice economical
engine ... oh, and a 3 bar boost turbo to keep it burning clean ...