<VV> Re: Safety stands

Phil Brandt f111a at austin.rr.com
Tue May 9 10:18:16 EDT 2006

Tell me sumthin' I don't (personally) know.....

On a Monday morning in 1960 this curmudgeon was laying underneath his
Olds-powered '54 Studebaker Starlight hardtop, changing the starter. The car
was jacked up with a floor jack--no safety stands--but the jack was resting
on compacted cinders in front of our hotrod club garage, about four miles
from my house in suburban Pittsburgh. I was alone, and since it was Monday
AM, nearby residents were at work.  As I was removing the crumped unit, I
noticed the floor jack start to tilt into the cinders.  I got moving pronto,
but not fast enough. As the sucker fell, the frame side rail caught me
diagonally across the neck, grinding the side of my face into said cinders.
Very fortunately, the tires were left on, and the car "bounced" back up just
enough for me to painfully extract my head. Talk about hurt; I couldn't even
think for about ten minutes! I checked my ears and eyes for signs of
bleeding, but found none. After the numbness set in, I had no way to get
home but to get back under the car and finish replacing the starter. This
time, I used safety stands, got the starter in and drove home. Called our
family physician right away, and he asked about any bleeding, etc. When I
said nada, he said that if I wanted an Xray to check for  fractures, to come
on in; I didn't think so and didn't.  The Stude left me with a big blood
blister diagonally across my neck.  That night I was at work at our family's
funeral home, suited up in coat and tie, greeting visitors and directing
them to applicable viewing rooms. This old farmer comes in to visit someone
and notices the prominent blood blister above my collar.  He turns to our
embalmer (who is standing with me at the door) and sez, "What'd young Brandt
try to do, hang himself?"

Phil Brandt
Austin, TX
CORSA since '71