<VV> Corvair a City Car / make it a Highway car

Brown, David David.Brown at bsci.com
Tue May 9 10:21:58 EDT 2006

Hi Brent,
I'm still not sure I understand EGR, but I did a similar thing to
relieve crankcase pressure on my tired 65 110.  I attached a cheap after
market radiator overflow tank (see attached picture- VV will delete, so
anyone besides Brent, let me know & I will forward the picture) with a
hose from the oil cap & another going back into the back side of the air
cleaner to re-burn the oil laden gases.  In the reservoir tank I stuffed
several pieces of 3M scrub pads so any heavy residue would be captured &
eventually drain back into the oil cap.  This was enough to totally
relieve the crankcase pressure (& dipstick oil emission) as long as I
didn't go flat out & red line it.  The engine ran beautifully for the
next 3 years, getting 24MPG, until I finally was in a position to pull
it (last year) so I can install a new 140 (this month?).  I think as
long as the blow-by is staying in the engine & not coming out the
exhaust, this is a great way to prolong the engine life.
Dave
Corvair Houston