<VV> taking it all off...suggestions on paint removal techniques

Neil Bristol neil_ljl at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 17:08:46 EDT 2006

My 66 Corsa Ragtop is now a officially major project. After tinkering for many hours, e-mailing a few folks about my rust problems and pondering over a few beers I have decided I may as well just strip the car completely and see what I have. I'm keen to fix this but I want to get it right the first time not plow a bunch in to get the rockers and the windshield done then discover I missed something. (Also there are 3 layers of paint (maybe 4) and 2 Color changes on this car already)

I have the drivetrain removed, the cloth top was gone when I got the car but the mechanics are still there, the whole interior is out (except for the dash and steering wheel). All the chrome,trim, lights, are off.

Questions:

1) What else do I need to remove before having it bead blasted? (windows, and the mechanics for the power top I assume, probably all the wiring, the doors, dash, steringcloumn, master cyl and......?

2) What is the best method/media- Plastic, Soda, Walnut shells?

3) What can I expect to pay?

4) If I want the underside done what has to come off? ( suspension? All the lines? gas tank??)

5) The car must be primed immediatley after ( i hear and that makes sense too me), how long can it sit in just primer while I get all the other stuff fixed assembled?

6) What else should I be asking/thinking about to prepare for this?

7) Am I nuts?..Ok skip that question