<VV> taking it all off...suggestions on paint removal techniques

Ron Guy qcc65 at comcast.net
Wed May 10 18:32:58 EDT 2006

Neil wrote....

Questions:

1) What else do I need to remove before having it bead blasted? (windows,
and the mechanics for the power top I assume, probably all the wiring, the
doors, dash, steringcloumn, master cyl and......?

Anything that can be removed without using a cutting torch or saw should be
removed.

2) What is the best method/media- Plastic, Soda, Walnut shells?

Sand is fine. Stay away from large flat surfaces. Top, quarters, fenders
etc.

3) What can I expect to pay?

Should be able to find someone with a portable rig to come by you shop and
blast it for about $150.00.

4) If I want the underside done what has to come off? ( suspension? All the
lines? gas tank??)

Everything you can remove with wrenches and such.

5) The car must be primed immediatley after ( i hear and that makes sense
too me), how long can it sit in just primer while I get all the other stuff
fixed assembled?

No it doesn't. I hope you intend to store it and work on it mostly indoors.
The Def Stinger sat for two years in some bare metal after blasting. Good
clean dry shop and it did not rust. Your primer (should be a catalyzed) may
have a short life requirement between applications.

6) What else should I be asking/thinking about to prepare for this?

Don't get in a hurry. Do it right, know every inch of the car. Keep plastic
filler to a minimum. Put it back in metal.

7) Am I nuts?..Ok skip that question

I should of answered this first. Yes!! So whats your point.

Ron Guy
CORSA, CORSA/NC, QCCC, VV, Group Red
Def Stinger, SEUM, Locomotive Breath
Corvairitis Carrier