<VV> threw a belt- what now?

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 10 21:37:00 EDT 2006

It is VERY ABNORMAL for a belt to come off at idle.  Something else is going
on.

What does it look like?  How old?  Cracked?  Worn?  Do I understand that you
were able to put it back on without tools?  If so, it is way too loose.
That might explain why the engine was so hot.  Fan not turning - at least
not fast enough.  OR, had you just come off a long or fast run with the car?

Is the harmonic balancer falling apart?  Bearing frozen up in idler pulley
or generator?  Fan growling on cold starts?

Hard to say from here if there is permanent damage to the engine.  If a
valve seat falls out later, you might trace that back to this incident, but
that remains to be seen.

What more can you tell us?  It will probably start fine once it is cooled
down.

Later, JR