<VV> threw a belt- what now?

Jim McLott Jim.McLott at DOR.GA.GOV
Thu May 11 08:54:41 EDT 2006

Mitch writes...
<snip>
To make sure it doesn't happen again, what is the best way to know that
the belt is tightened properly (I know, I know- if it doesn't fall off
<g>).
What about those spring loaded pulleys, do they really help with the
tension?
</snip>

If you can just barely turn the alternator fan (generator fan for all
you EM types) with one finger, the belt is tensioned correctly.

And IMHO, spring loaded belt tensioners are a solution looking for a
problem.  But then, I use points, a mechanical fuel pump and adjust my
valves cold (only had to do it once!), so I might be wrong about that,
too.

Jim McLott & Christine, the 1966 Monza convertible wonder-car
Member: CORSA, Corvair Atlanta and Group Red (Ret.)
http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/groupred/mclott.htm