<VV> who has info on making/welding braces on LM convertibles for rocker panel replacement

Brad Hall rbh at interhop.net
Wed May 17 08:14:33 EDT 2006

Neil,
When I replace the rocker panels on a convertible, I measure the door opening at the top and use a hydraulic jack with extensions to maintain that dimension when I'm welding in the new rocker panels.  The bottom length doesn't change because there is an "internal" vertical "rocker panel" which likely does not need replacing, although it may need to have some patches welded over a small amount of corrosion.  Naturally, I only do one side at a time.  Convertibles also have an internal stiffener inside the rocker panel; I use a piece of 3/16" steel welded into the new rocker panel to replace the factory "Z" section.  I think the steel piece is 4" wide, but you can easily check what you want on your new rocker panels.  I also spray a coat of zinc "galvanizing compound" on all of the internal surfaces.
I hope this helps.
Brad Hall...............Corsa Ontario