<VV> who has info on making/welding braces on LM convertibles for rocker panel replacement

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri May 19 17:16:10 EDT 2006

At 05:14 hours 05/17/2006, Brad Hall wrote:
>Neil,
>When I replace the rocker panels on a convertible, I measure the
>door opening at the top and use a hydraulic jack with extensions to
>maintain that dimension when I'm welding in the new rocker
>panels.  The bottom length doesn't change because there is an
>"internal" vertical "rocker panel" which likely does not need
>replacing, although it may need to have some patches welded over a
>small amount of corrosion.  Naturally, I only do one side at a
>time.  Convertibles also have an internal stiffener inside the
>rocker panel; I use a piece of 3/16" steel welded into the new
>rocker panel to replace the factory "Z" section.  I think the steel
>piece is 4" wide, but you can easily check what you want on your new
>rocker panels.  I also spray a coat of zinc "galvanizing compound"
>on all of the internal surfaces.
>I hope this helps.
>Brad Hall...............Corsa Ontario

It's worth mentioning that a Corvair convertible doesn't really "sag"
when the structure is compromised.  It "bows".    The rear of the car
drops...  been there done that.   Last time I was welding on
something that was producing threats of breaking in half, I was
supporting the back end under the motor mount with a jack to keep
from ending up with a gap at the top of the doors.

Unfortunately, late model ragtops in *good* shape will oft times show
some body flex if you pick one up under the rear motor mount (I know,
NEVER do this ever, but others have done it as I watched...).

More than once I've had my left arm pinched enough to make me go
"Damn!" while aggressively backing out of a driveway unevenly,
rocking the car as it rolls onto the street.    I avoid laying the
arm across the door gap when I'm turned to the left to watch while
backing up...   last time it left a blood blister under my upper arm
shaped like a grain of rice.    Made me start thinking of ways to
stiffen a late ragtop without resorting to a 6-point rollbar.

tony..