<VV> Ignitor II update

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Thu May 18 16:28:04 EDT 2006

You and I will have to agree to disagree over wiring an Ignitor I to a
ballasted source (virtually all Ignitor I failures seem to be due to
either abuse or undervoltage)... but the Ignitor I clearly states (in
all literature from the past several years anyway) that it is designed
to be wired to 12V, NOT a ballasted source.

The Ignitor II had the first instructions I've seen (again, in many many
years) that allowed an Ignitor to be wired to a ballasted source. I also
know the Ignitor II is protected against the same sort of abuse that
would kill an Ignitor I; I would assume that it's also very likely
protected against low voltage failures... probably by turning off.

Anyway, the usual failure mode (stumbling, etc)  of the Ignitor I was
not at a low voltage at idle, but at a high ignition load.

As far as the wiring not being up to par, this isn't in a Corvair and
it's not a tired resistor wire or bad connections. The wiring is fine to
the ballast resistor (showing virtually no drop through the switch) and
at idle (where this event was occurring) the (10SI) alternator is pretty
much out of the system and it's running at battery voltage, meaning any
load can drag it down somewhat. How would you recommend fixing that?

Bill