<VV> Engine Miss..valve seat

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 20 00:44:54 EDT 2006

Hi Jim,

I just bite the bullet on all Corvair engines that I don't know the complete
history of and just have the seats replaced by a competent aircooled shop
and get it over with.  Been bitten a few times and learned my lesson.  140's
and turbos are the most at risk.  Stock turbos run small seats and valves
just like the 110's.  It's the heat that does it.  An engine that has been
abused and run hot or run hard and shutdown without allowing it to idle for
a little bit to cool off can aggravate it.

I've heard a few people that run their engine up to 450-500 degrees before
they consider it overheating.  To me, that is way too hot.  I don't like to
see the temp gauge get over 400 degrees.  425 to me is overheating.  It
doesn't take very many heat cycles above 450 before you start having
problems.

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, suspension, engine, tranny, diff
rebuild