<VV> RE: Carb Issues in general

grant young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Sun May 21 08:40:43 EDT 2006

I read most of the carb problem related posts because Carbs R Me. I
probably get 5-6 returns a year (out of 400-500, ain't bad), and have
seldom found anything wrong with them (I'm not perfect yet, so I have
screwed up my share, and always replace them). After I check them out and
don't find anything, I freshen them up and send them to a happy customer.
Then I send an exact replacement for the "bad" one that magically works
fine. What I suspect happens most of the time is that the installer
accidently removes a line, wire, hose, etc. that some how gets fixed in the
meantime. When there ARE mechanical issues, it is almost always VALVE TRAIN
related - broken or weak valve springs, loose rockers, too tight or too
loose adjustments, bent push rods, worn rocker balls, etc.). And, as
someone mentioned, switching carbs does not always work (but is beyond me
as to why :-). Included in the installation instructions I send is a plea
to set everything back to stock with the old carbs, if possible, before
installing the new ones. This helps the owner troubleshoot things prior to
getting into a frustrating screw turning exercise with the good carbs. FWIW,
The Carbmeister