<VV> Smittys Carb

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon May 22 16:21:31 EDT 2006

At 08:56 hours 05/22/2006, Smitty Smith wrote:
>Smitty says:   I did indeed index the cam and crank wrong.  If I
>did, this is the first time in 30-35 years to do that.  I remember
>like it was this morning looking at the match up of the timing marks
>with a flashlight when I put the block together.  Maybe it is time
>to quit this crap

Not necessarily.

I'm not making any statements about how I know this...

...but having the cam off a tooth isn't gonna make one bank not work
right.    In fact, the engine didn't actually run *that* bad, being a
tooth off, and it idled OK while still running fairly respectably,
just down on power and both banks behaved the same.

I actually don't remember which direction the "one tooth off" was,
whether the cam was advanced or retarded.   But I'd suspect that
something else is still afoot other than the valve timing being a few
degrees off.

tony..