<VV> Smittys Carb

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Mon May 22 11:56:03 EDT 2006

Smitty says:  OK guys, this appears to be the story.  But before I take the engine out and break it down to split the block I would like to have some knowlgable person verify the accuracy of the timing index mark on the rear engine casting.  How accurate is it?  Half tooth, one tooth, or right on?  This is important because that accuracy is what I am basing the next week's work on.
  Finally got my honeydos out of the way this morning and very carefully moved the damper timing mark to TDC for cyl # 2.  This placed the little zero on the cam gear at the block split line on the bottom of the engine.  Only problem is that it is not at the split line but about one tooth off.  So based on the accuracy of the timing index mark and the location of the zero I can only assume that in spite of my best efforts, I did indeed index the cam and crank wrong.  If I did, this is the first time in 30-35 years to do that.  I remember like it was this morning looking at the match up of the timing marks with a flashlight when I put the block together.  Maybe it is time to quit this crap