Fwd: <VV> OIL PRESSURE

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Mon May 22 14:13:17 EDT 2006

In a message dated 5/19/2006 12:43:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ronh at owt.com
writes:

> think you are writing about when it was new.  Now with worn cam bearings
> it could well be giving you close to zero psi at idle.
> RonH

Ron brings up a question I have always wondered about--the block cam bearing
area (no real bearings of course, just the block itself where it supports the
cam.  Outside of checking tolerances when an engine is apart I have never had
to reject a crankcase because of wear at the cam bearing area.  I have always
changed oil regularily and all of my engines have high mileage with good oil
pressure.

What is the experience of other VVers with crankcase wear at the cam bearing
area?  With age and high mileage when can one expect to have an out of
tolerance crankcase (or half)?

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier