<VV> Smittys Carb

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Mon May 22 18:28:57 EDT 2006

In a message dated 5/22/2006 2:16:51 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
vairologist at verizon.net writes:

This is  TDC for Cyl # 1     According to what I have read (I have never
actually watched it happen in a running engine) the crank rotates twice for  each
cam revolution.  The # 2 cyl fires exactly opposite the # 1 cyl in  the
firing cycle.  That means if you rotate the damper (crankshaft) one  revolution
from TDC # 1, you will be at TDC for # 2 which puts the zero 180  degrees from #1
position which puts it guess where?  Right smack at the  bottom.  Right in
line with the block part line (If you didn't screw  up).  I might be old and
incompetent, but I think I'm right on  this.

Hi again,Smitty,
Well, I guess it all depends on what you mean by TDC and how to find that
point. If you simply mean piston top-dead-center than of course you are
correct.  But how did you KNOW that you have the piston there? Well of  course you
placed the harmonic damper at the zero mark, and the distributor  rotor at
either #1 or #2. If you didnt do that then the only other way was to  let the
compression blow off your finger on #1 or #2.  Either way, you are  going to find
the TDC for the plug firing. So, if as you say you set it for the  #2 piston at
TDC, you were at the plug firing point for that cylinder. The timng  mark
would not be at the bottom.
To have the gear timing mark at the bottom so you could see it, you HAD to
be with the #1 plug firing and not #2.
Regards,
Bob Helt