<VV> Highrise air cleaner

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Mon May 22 22:17:25 EDT 2006

>  regarding the highrise extension for some time.
>That being said, I just can't believe that such a short extension has much
>affect at all.  If it did, why didn't GM do it?

Inna word, the spare tire. I have a 185x80x13 (pretty close to the original
7.00 x13) in the spare right now and there is less than an inch clearance
between the rubber and the tube to the right carb. To use a 2" spacer I
would need to raise the spare by at least an inch which means the spare
would need to be supported differently.

Now with a smaller spare (space savers were available for Firebirds) there
would be no problem but you are talking about a significant engineering
effort when the general had already decided to can the Corvair as soon as
politically possible.

Further, more power was not necessarily important at the time. So they may
have known but just decided that it did not matter.

Might note that for the max gross hp (test 20) and carb flow tests, GM
removed the air cleaner.

Padgett