<VV> Highrise air cleaner and tire clearance

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue May 23 11:19:44 EDT 2006

>To use a 2" spacer I
>would need to raise the spare by at least an inch which means the spare
>would need to be supported differently.
Just did a little playing. I believe Warren said that a 1" spacer is enough
to smooth the flow. A short piece of 1x2 drilled for the two studs raises
the 185x80x13 spare enough (is marginal without the 5/8" spacer) and still
provides a reasonable supporting surface. May make a pad the same shape as
the metal support in the future from some 1" plywood but this will do for now.

In the process I noticed that the stock mounting was pressing the tire into
the sharp body flange at the rear and the raising relieves this. This may
be because a 185 mm (7.28") tire has a slightly larger section than a 7.00
or do they all do it ?

Now in an autocross car, the tire would be up front for better weight
distribution (if not gone entirely) but this is a cruiser and need the
trunk space for chairs, canopy, cooler, and misc.

Next step is to fabricate the spacers and see what happens, suspect it
might help mpg a bit. Seems like there would be a market for tapered
spacers and the rubber plug to allow rotating the snorkle into the cool air
path.

Padgett

Padgett