<VV> Smitty's Timing

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Tue May 23 15:17:10 EDT 2006

More details on my similar "carb that wouln't work below mid-range" problem.
I bought an engine that had been recently rebuilt, but didn't run very well.
I figured I could straighten it out and reap the benefits of all those new
parts.  Cutting the the chase, the cam was in wrong by one tooth.  The RF carb
(itsa 140) wouldn't idle. The best I could do was to get it to fire
occasionally on #3 and #5.  I ordered a pair of rebuilts from Grant.  RF did'nt work
there either.  Grant sent a replacement; it didn't work either (Thanks to the ever
patient Grant).  I isolated the vacuum balance tube and checked the vacuum:
low on the right side.  Compression was even , but low at about 100# (AFIR).  I
was thinking "flat cam" but pulled the pan and checked the cam timing. It was
off by a tooth.  Coincidentally, itsa retarded crank/889 cam combo.
Precisely one-zillion hours of troubleshooting and R & R later, it was all back
together and it idles just fine on all cylinders with any old carburetor.
Craig Nicol