<VV> Carb Spacer

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue May 23 16:43:00 EDT 2006

Hokay so I took a 15 minute break to try out the spacer - made a 6"x8"x
5/8" quadrilateral to match the plate. Then took 2" off the narrow end
because the tire stuck up too high and the deck lid would not close.

Now have almost 2" clearance above the right carb so enough room to put an
inch or so spacer. Tire now just touches deck lid. However I do not have
any deck lid insulation fitted. If I did, the stock location would be all
she wrote.

So is possible that GM knew about the benefits of the carb spacer but if
added it would require moving the spare tire to the trunk like the a/c
cars. More important the "available trunk space" spec (except with a/c)
would have dropped and the marketeers would have screamed. Space saver
spare would cure the issue but don't think they were available until 1967
by which time GM was not developing the Corvair.

It is also entirely possible that a stock engine below 4,000 rpm does not
need the spacer but there is only one way to find out. Just wish I could
find my G-Tech Pro.

Padgett