<VV> Highrise air cleaner

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 23 23:43:02 EDT 2006

Hi Matt,

Actually, I did live there.  Born and raised in the San Diego area.
Actually didn't leave there until 2000 for a job in the Bay Area.  Used to
see the weekly migration of desert rats heading for the dunes on I-8 all the
time.  I've seen alot of stuff but unfortunately, I feel like I was born too
late to experience the Corvairs and muscle cars in their heydays.  I really
prefer older cars.  I didn't get my license to drive until 1982 :)  Although
I did live the muscle car era vicariously through an older brother.  Did
plenty of tinkering around a friends place in Ocotillo with rails, pans,
atcs. motorcycles and "experimental vehicles...." big grin there :)  My
father was and still is a "make do with what you have" sort of guy.  Our
family car in 1969 was a 1931 Ford Phaeton, bone stock.  Literally!!  I
learned some of my frugalness from him but I also learned a love of old
cars, old radios, old music....just cause it's old doesn't make it
worthless.  I love nothing more than to take something long neglected, that
someone else has tossed away and to breathe life into it again.  There's
just something really fulfilling in doing that to me.

Back to the air cleaner extension!  I do have a test bed available....our
Ultravan when I get the engine back together.  Don't know how much I'll
notice on it though since it will rarely see anything about 4,000 rpm, plus
it will have small valves.  There is actually quite a bit of overhead
clearance in the Ultra's engine compartment to fit in some velocity stacks
or .........

I think part of my confusion was that I never read Warren's post in my
nightly skimming of e-mails.  Since I rarely run my engines at high rpms, I
couldn't see the need for the extensions.

Talk to you later,

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!

<snip>