<VV> What's squeaking?

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Thu May 25 12:01:28 EDT 2006

Thanks for all the replies on my squeaking issue.  I'm 99% sure the heater hoses are NOT rubbing.  I recently replaced them because the old ones were and they were so stiff and rigid I couldn't persuade them to stay out of the way.  I don't have wire wheel covers but I do have full wheel covers so I'll try JR's suggestion of taking them off and going for a drive (although I think Corvairs look hugly without their wheel covers - this is for science though).  I HOPE it's not a bad wheel weld but the sound is consistant with metal to metal rubbing so I'll give the wheels a good look over.  I took the right side (the side the sound SEEMS to ge coming from) axle off during my investigation and I did relube the u-joints.  They have grease fittings so I pumped 'em until it started oozing out.  The grease that was in the u-joints was thin and there wasn't much of it but they were not "dry".  I wouldn't worry so much but I want to bring this thing to Buffalo (from southern VA) and I don't want any shenanigans from it on the way.

mike