<VV> What's squeaking?

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Thu May 25 22:16:54 EDT 2006

So how do I check the u-joints to see if they're bad? They looked and felt fine to me.  Like I said tho, the grease in the cups (both ends) was very thin and there wasn't a lot of it but they were not "dry".  I'm getting no clunking (yet).  It seems like an easy enough fix to just replace them but I'd hate to do it if it wasn't necessary at all.  This axle is the one that had the brake lock up and really overheat about a year ago so it's not unrealistic to think the u-joint grease (and maybe wheel bearing grease) got hot too.  It was a year ago though and I haven't had any issues until this squeak showed up last week.

BTW, why does NAPA list an inner and outer u-joint (with different part numbers)??  Our vendors only show one for both ends.  Why don't I just get my u-joints from them?  I want to do this this weekend and I don't have any vendors in my town.

mike

If I understand, you greased the u-joints,drove the car the squeaking went
away and then returned after a short drive. If that is correct, I would take the
axle out and inspect the u-joints. Actually, if I were going to drive the car
I would check them anyway. If they are bad the squeak will become a loud,
destructive noise when the u-joimt goes on the highway.
Bill Pierson