<VV> What's squeaking?

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu May 25 23:15:35 EDT 2006

The typical problem is you can only see two of the four cap and needle
assemblies of each u-joint when you take the axle out. The other two are
the pressed in ones and the only way to see those needles is to take the
u-joint out of the axle. Then, why put old parts in when new u-joints
are not too expensive. But, if the two inspectable caps are OK, and you
feel no slop in the other two caps, then it is probably OK to drive on
some more. Be especially watchful for the first sign of no grease, a
clicky feel to the rotation of the cap. It should be a very smooth
rotation. Clicky even without slop is time to replace.

There are several u-joints that fit the Corvair axle (early and late are
the same). It has to do with the meatyness of the middle of the joint,
grease fittings or not, etc. These are typical Chevrolet u-joints from
the 60's. A common part number that appears is 513. Like the CarQuest
u-joints I used last year, the number 513 was in their part number. The
best FLAPS is the one that has been around since the 60's and has car
people behind the counter. Even if their memory is as fuzzy as mine! .

Put the same u-joints on both ends of the axle, then it doesn't matter
which end is which.

Frank DuVal