<VV> Pixar's "CARS" in Autoweek

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Fri May 26 19:35:01 EDT 2006

So did anyone read the series of articles on the new animated movie from
Pixar? "CARS"... AW says that it may be "the best car movie...ever!"

I'm extremely impressed by the articles... they went to a LOT of trouble
to make things authentic... knowing how "car guys" cringe at even well
done Hollywood "car" movies... and have sought the advice (and talents)
of folks like Paul Newman (who ever thought he would be voicing a
cartoon?)... Richard Petty is there as well...  and lots of "inside" car
guy stuff. If you don't get AW, this one is worth picking up....

Autoweek profiles the "car credentials" of the 5 Pixar principles
responsible for the movie... starting with John Lasseter (a two time
Academy Award winning director)... now in charge of all Disney and Pixar
animation... guess what...hard core car guy (Mercedes SL55, Jag XK120,
Messerschmidt, etc).

So you're saying "Great, Bill, but why isn't this on VV-Talk? What does
this have to do with Corvairs?" I thought you might ask that... I was
intrigued enough to read to individual bios of the top 5 guys... and why
they thought they were "car guys"...

Jay Schuster, 35, is the "Concept Designer" with an industrial design
degree and work for Lucasfilm designing vehicles for "Star Wars". So how
did he get into cars? His father was a GM designer... he grew up in a
household with "everything design, car design, anything mechanical,
airplanes, trains, automobiles".

He continues "Dad was in love with the Corvair and had a '69 and a '64,
both convertibles. Those stick out as the car I grew up with and loved,
just because of its quirkiness-- you know, 'Dangerous at any speed'.
Actually it was a forward-looking design at that time, kind of
cab-forward, a cool design". (He does admit that he doesn't currently
have a hobby car, but I'm sure we could fix that for him...)

So good press right where you least expect it! We ought to invite him to
the Convention!

Bill