<VV> What's squeaking?

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Fri May 26 21:08:10 EDT 2006

OK, I'm sick of the ding dang squeaking.  I looked at the u-joints again and they're fine.  Full of grease and smooth and no noise when I wiggle them back and forth. The wheel welds look fine.  The shock mount looks fine.  Pretty sure it's not the wheel covers.  It definitely sounds like a rotational noise.  I went for a longer drive today and didn't hear anything (I drove with the only the passenger window down since that's the side it seems to be coming from.  I was all joyfull because I didn't hear anything but when I pulled it into its parking position I could hear a slight squeaking sound.  I tried backing up and heard nothing.  Forward, and a slight squeak. My guess at this point is brake or bearing.  The bearing doesn't make any noise when I jack the rear end up and run the car in drive.  I know it's not loaded like that but it makes NO noise.  The brake shoes are tight.  The hub turns a lot easier with the drum off than with it on. I did try filing down the leading and trailing edges of the shoes.

I'm just going to wait for it to go away or get worse for now. Thanks for all the input guys.  I really do appreciate it.  At least the little devil is driveable.

mike