<VV> splitting the block over a tooth

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sun May 28 12:35:13 EDT 2006

Before I undertake heroic measures to adjust cam timing I confirm the actual valve timing events.  Actually I  confirm the cam/valve timing events on most engines I  assemble.
1 - confirm damper tdc mark with a dial indicator or positive stop.
2 - provide degree markings with damper tape (bought or made using circumference = Pi X Diameter)  or by installing a degree wheel (paper versions downloadable all over the internet - here's a pretty good one )
http://www.savetheledges.org/test/AVS/images/tech/CrankDegreeWheel.png ) .
3 - using a dial indicator or a valve retainer rotate  crank and note when #1 intake valve opens and closes.
4 - brag to friends that cam is "degreed and installed straight up, advanced 2 degrees, or whatever"

Blind faith in factory marks as good enough is >>usually<< justified, however....
- Last year a "pro" bike racer installed my daughter's Integra cams 1 tooth off 3 times in a row.
- Not too long ago a friend who does high end engine assembly for a local shop found a factory OEM Land Rover timing gear with its mark machined a tooth or so off.

In each case "degreeing" found the problem right away.

http://www.iskycams.com/camshaft.php

--
Dan Timberlake

Message: 5