<VV> splitting the block over a tooth

4carbcorvair 4carbcorvair at gmail.com
Sun May 28 14:14:09 EDT 2006

I had a few 'experts' on a certain Corvair forum tell me that I was going
overboard wanting to change the cam in my 140 when I was planing my rebuild.
So I took the advise of the experts. About 100 or so miles on it after the
rebuild and I get to tear the engine apart again, to replace the cam,
lifters, main bearings, rod bearings, anything else I find messed up and
flush the HUGE amount of metal that is throughout my engine. It's only money
and time.....

Goes to show that 'experts' are only human.

And I should be able to rebuild Corvair engines in my sleep.

<snip>Blind faith in factory marks as good enough is >>usually<< justified,
however....
- Last year a "pro" bike racer installed my daughter's Integra cams 1 tooth
off 3 times in a row.
- Not too long ago a friend who does high end engine assembly for a local
shop found a factory OEM Land Rover timing gear with its mark machined a
tooth or so off.

In each case "degreeing" found the problem right away.

http://www.iskycams.com/camshaft.php

--
Dan Timberlake <unsnip>
--