<VV> Stupid electrical question

Jim Simpson simpsonj at bellatlantic.net
Mon May 29 15:12:00 EDT 2006

I installed my Safeguard unit under the rear seat using Velcro strips
to hold it down.  The wires to the engine were routed through one of
the rubber plugs on the drivers side under the rear seat, taped to
match the regular wiring harness.  I installed a Corvair style
in-line connector so I could remove the engine without having to pull
wires from everywhere.

The Red power wire for the Safeguard was routed inside the car along
the "gutter" under the door sill covers up to under the dash to the
power lead from the ignition switch.  I'd have to go out to the car
to be sure, but I'm pretty sure it's the "purple" wire that supplies
continuous run power to the coil.  That's where I tapped in with the
Safeguard supplied clamp-on connector.  (The '65 shop manual shows it
as the "12 PPL" wire.)  You need a source of 12 volts that is
switched on an off with the ignition switch that is NOT interrupted
during the starting sequence.  (I think accessory power is turned off
when you crank the engine, so don't use that.)

You can pick up a digital voltmeter for $10 - $15 at Sears or most
hardware stores.  Not guaranteed to be the most accurate meter in the
world (despite having 3 1/2 digits), but certainly good enough for
any automotive application.  Very handy to have in the toolbox.

Jim Simpson, Group Corvair, '66 Corsa turbo