some <VV> interset - oil pressure

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Mon May 29 18:43:55 EDT 2006

>   They used high volume flow as well as damned near 100 lbs
>of pressure in order to keep the rods and mains wet at 9000+ rpm with
>a two pound piston and a three pound rod that had the benefit of not
>stretching or going out of round after three runs.

The problem with 100 psi that GM found is that it would tend to wear away
bearings quickly (believe "wash out the bearings" was the term). In the
CanAm daze what later became the "Chevrolet Power Book", there was a
notation that was quite specific: "Oil pump pressures should be greater
than 50 psi at speed to be sufficient for heavy duty use. In any case
pressure should not be greater than 80 psi."

I remember spending considerable time trying to find a small enough shim to
put my SBC between 55 and 60 psi but every one I tried pegged the 100 psi
gauge as soon as it started. Finally just left the shim out & accepted
45-50 psi at speed and never had a problem. Was using 7000 rpm max for SCCA
B/P.

Padgett