<VV> Starter /Fried Brake cable Pt 2

Doug Foust doufou at msn.com
Tue May 30 00:08:23 EDT 2006

First problem solved.  Continuity checks with ohm meter showed solenoid was
not disengaging with battery disconnected.  Pulled the rebuilt starter,
solenoid disengaged fine.  Seems there is enough play in the starter bolt
holes and since gravity makes the starter tend to drift in deeper (closer to
flywheel) that the gear was too deep into the flywheel, so I reinstalled
with leverage to push starter further away from flywheel while tightening
starter boltsl, now seems fine.

Thanks for the responses.

STILL can't explain two brake cables in a row melting at rear of tunnel.
I'm concerned, but have looked for any sort of rubbing and/or possible
arcing to cable path w/o success.  Did find one brown wire in harness
through tunnel that may well have arced to a brake hydraulic line connector
nut at rear of tunnel, but can't see why that would travel all the way to
emergency brake cable before finding ground.  Any more ideas?  Harry Yarnell
suggested bad battery ground to engine, but it looks fine and tests
resistance free.