<VV> Oil

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Tue May 30 00:09:45 EDT 2006

Holy crap!!!  A Greenbriar takes 6 gallons of oil???  What does it do with it all?

I just put some Rotella synthetic 5W40 in my '65 110.  Synthetic because all of the talk I've read on oils seems to say that synthetics can handle the higher temperatures that the Corvair can potentially reach.  Rotella because all of you oil fiends have convinced me that the old engine design can use the friction additives in the diesel oils.  A part of me hates this because I KNOW that a 10W30 conventional oil (as recommended in the owners manual) would do just fine.  But I worry too much so I researched and this is the conclusion I've come to.  So far all I've noticed is that the oil is so thin and clear that I can't hardly read the dipstick!   Hopefully a few miles will add a little color to it to make it easier.  We'll see how it goes.

As an aside, I've never really worried about oil in my car.  I change the oil and filter fairly regularly and use the weight recommended in the manual and I've never, ever had any oil-related problem.  I had a VW Golf go over 250k miles and it often got neglected on its oil changes.  It was running fine when it got flooded by saltwater in a hurricane flood.  Still, I don't want to take chances with my "survivor" so I'll run the synthetic diesel engine oil and hope for the best.

mike