<VV> Camshaft

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Tue May 30 02:03:10 EDT 2006

In a message dated 5/29/06 5:53:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
4carbcorvair at gmail.com writes:

> . I did not split the crankcase, did
> a visual on the cam, looked fine. No measurements. Crank measured right on
> for standard rod bearings. I installed ALL new lifters. Coated them in moly
> grease and ran the engine at 2000 rpm for 20-25 min. I also used
> non-detergant oil per instructions from a vendor that was included with the
> new rings for break-in.
>
> Ron,
What can I say? You installed new lifters on a used cam (which is ok) but
instead of using the best oil available and even maybe a cam breakin lube, you
used non detergent oil instead. Don't you know that non detergent oil is SA/SB
rated oil with NO protection added. This is 1930-type oil. No wonder you wore
the cam lobes. Didn't your Expert mechanic (with the wings) tell you to use the
latest and best oil, such as SL ?

Sorry!

Regards,
Bob Helt