<VV> Re: F NADER license plate

burkhard at rochester.rr.com burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Tue May 30 12:13:38 EDT 2006

And that would be me ;-)

A couple cops who pulled me over one time thought it was a funny plate -
- they were really yucking it up in the rearview mirror.  I still got a
ticket for an inspection sticker a couple years out of date, though...

And, actually it's been on my car a lot longer than 10 years... I got
it in 1989 or 1990 when I first moved here from NJ.  There's even a pic
in the Feb 1994 issue of Car & Driver when it made the "10 Best License
Plates" ... somebody took a picture of it at a show somewhere and
mailed it in.  I would have preferred a little less exposure, but
apparently nobody complained thereafter.

All that said, if somebody bitches, you are hosed.  NY and probably all
other states with vanity plates have provisions that you can't have
anything offensive to anyone.  If your name was Fred Nader, you could
probably argue it, but otherwise, I think you are without recourse.

Jim Burkhard
Rochester-ish, NY