<VV> Re: 66 Wiring & yellow wires.

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue May 30 17:15:26 EDT 2006

>1966 500 coupe with 95hp and a Powerglide.

My 66 Monza should be the same. The #20 Yellow wire from the solenoid "R"
terminal (must not be connected to the "S" terminal) comes to the two
connector terminal near the firewall. It provides 12v to the coil when
cranking.  There should be two wires on the other side of the connector, a
black/yellow (appears to be solid yellow on mine) that goes to the coil +
terminal and a white/red/black resistive wire (insulation will appear rough
like fabric) from the multipin connector. This steps down the 12v when
running.

The other wire on the two terminal connector is a much larger purple wire
to the "S" terminal. This is only powered in "starts".

Coil should not be hot after 5 minutes from cold. Need to measure the
voltage across the coil with the key on, engine off, and points closed (may
have to turn the engine with a wrench until closed). Points open will read
zero. Should read about 6 volts with points closed. if you read 12v
something is wrong.

Should just be one wire from the harness and one wire from the condensor
wire on the + terminal of the coil with points. Negative side has wire from
distributor only. Tach wire would connect on negative terminal with
a  brown/white but is not present on my car.

Padgett

ps my 66 had a "D" shaped hole under the coil that was heating it. I
blocked it and the coil runs cooler. I don;t think 5 minutes would be
enough to make a
difference.