Subject: Re: <VV> intermittent spark

Vairjer at cs.com Vairjer at cs.com
Wed May 31 10:46:51 EDT 2006

snip>At 07:11 hours 05/30/2006, Ray Rodriguez wrote:
>I'll try swapping in the condenser from my other car tomorrow. My
>understanding is that when condensers fail they fail, and that it
>would be highly unusual, essentially unheard of, to have an
>intermittent problem.

Tony responds:
Allow me to step forward and testify that this statement, although
rational and logical, is NOT correct. <

Tony is right on, as in the type condensor (capacitor) that is used for
ignition is made up of a pair of insulated foil windings, one of which makes
contact with the metal "can" through a "wavy spring washer"at the bottom of the can.
  During my tenure at Delco Remy in the early 1960's a batch of "wavy
washers" with less than proper tempering got into production and we had a flurry of
field failures when the cans got warm and the spring no longer made as good a
contact with the windings/can....We also (at another time) had a batch of foil
windings that were "slightly short" which caused substantial failures during
COLD weather as the length got even shorter after sitting overnight....

However, there are other opportunities for intermittent/poor performance of
spark with the lead from the points to the coil being a primary suspect, poor
grounding through the points plate to distributor bowl screws, etc....This is a
mechanical points distributor??

Jerry McKenzie