<VV> Synthetic Oil humor

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Mon Oct 2 19:38:31 EDT 2006

> What surprises me the most is how passionate some folks seem to get about
> the BRAND of oil they use - most especially when it is Amsoil.  <Big Grin
> Here>
>
> Later, JR

I've become convinced it's a cult.  A cult I tells ya!!

I put synthetic Rotella in my car because - oh for a bunch of reasons that probably make no sense.  If you go out on the internets and try to get info on oil, you'll come away convinced it's the most dificult decision in the world.  But I am convinced that any oil (that a normal person would buy - not non-detergent oil or hydraulic jack oil or whatever...) you buy today will be fine.   I got convinced the new oils don't have enough zinc or some other thing so I went with diesel engine oil because it still does.  Now the Rotella is fine, it's just the ONLY place I can find it is WalMart.  Even Shell stations don't have the synthetic - non of the ones I stopped at on the way to Buffalo anyway.  And it seems to burn more oil with the synthetic.  It could be because of what Matt says about viscosity - it's 5w40 but who knows.  I'd really like to get one oil for all 4 cars I own but that seems like a impossibility.  The Corvairs are probably the easiest.  The Honda wants only 10w30, the VW wants only 10w40 Castrol synthetic (according to some in the VW world, anything else witll KILL your VW!!).  I like the idea of synthetics for Corvairs because of their resistance to problems with high heat.  So I'll probably go with some readily available 10w30 or 40 synthetic.  Castrol, Valvoline Mobil - whatever.  NOT Amsoil due to its cult status and unavailability.   It really doesn't have to be so hard but I don't think there's any other aspect of car maintenance that brings out the zealotry that oil does.  It's hard getting "facts" on the subject.  I've never had an oil-related problem in any car I've owned or driven.  I've used everything, including Pennzoil , which according to some is guaranteed to build a waxy sludge in your engine.  I've been bad about change intervals.  I've used FRAM filters fergoodnesssake!!  Never a problem.   Go figure.