<VV> Noisy lifter

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Wed Oct 4 16:37:54 EDT 2006

Try turning that lifter in one extra 1/4 turn -- assuming you adjust
to 3/4 turn,

I have one lifter on my Spyder that acts a little funny.  If I adjust
as I normally do -- find where the clacking stops -- and then turn in
3/4 of a turn it seems quiet.  Sometimes.  Other times it will clack
for while and then go quiet.  I finally solved it by turning it in
one more 1/4 turn.  The original books say 1 full turn anyway, the
3/4 figure comes from all the more contemporary stuff (like
Clark's).  I adjust mine hot with the engine running and with the 1/2
valve cover.  Once I made that change on that one lifter it never
clacked again (1,000 miles so far, and it never went more than a
minute or two before).  I am using NOS GM lifters which I am not sure
if that makes a difference or not (I think not).

Eric

At 10:23 AM 10/4/2006, you wrote:
>Hi guys and gals,
>
>   Hope someone out there in Corvair land can give me a hint on the
> best way to free a stuck lifter, other than replacement.  I have
> one lifter that periodically sticks but quiets after running a
> bit.  I have just changed oil, and now I'm using Quaker 5W30 with
> Slick 50.  I've only run it about 3 minutes since the oill change
> but my lifter is still clacking.  I have a car show coming up this
> Saturday and if I can't get that lifter quiet I won't go.  Any
> suggestions, please.  Thanks,
>
>   Rudy Korb
>   67 Monza vert
>   Rogers, Arkansas

This email sent by:

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off
when I sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

Note the change in the domain from vicspdi.com to vicsmba.com !!!!

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!

http://www.vicsmba.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots
of pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon and our 62 Spyder convertible.

http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/corvairs.html

My younger brother Martin has started a very serious car company.  A
hot rod (very fast) electric roadster is the first offering.  The
chassis is built by Lotus to their specs.  Check it
out:  http://www.teslamotors.com