<VV> A couple of questions

JRVIDRINE at aol.com JRVIDRINE at aol.com
Fri Oct 13 19:08:59 EDT 2006

Folks,
I have a couple of questions  regarding my 1962 Corvair Monza, with 102 hp
engine and powerglide  transmission.  The car has 68,000 miles on it:
1.  The car doesn't idle well until it is  very warm (running for about an
hour).  This results in the car wanting to stumble and die when stopped and in
drive (as at a stop light).  This  requires me to shift into Neutral and then
into Drive when I need to  proceed.  This results in a very  hard shift, which
causes the car to shudder and actually lurch forward.  This is very evident
to me while driving  and probably to bystanders.  The car  idles fine in
Neutral (smoothly and with no stumbles or misses).
2.  Fuel gauge problem.  I have an intermittently operating fuel  gauge.  It
has a new fuel sending  unit.  It is well grounded at the  sending unit.
Sometimes when I gas  it up, it reflects that it is full (as it should when full).
 Sometimes it reflects that gasoline is  being consumed by slowly dropping as
it should.  The problem always occurs after the car  has been stopped
(ignition shut down and then started).  It then can either show all the way  below E
(what has happened recently, or it will go to F and stay there (when I  know
it isn't full).  Then at some  point when I start it, it will reflect a
(proper) level in the tank.  Normally when I fuel it up it will take  about what the
fuel gauge says it needs.
Thanks
Randy Vidrine
1962 Monza Coupe