<VV> Fuse Boxes

Jim Bannister jimster1 at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 16 14:54:34 EDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Luke Duddridge
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2006 7:35 AM
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Fuse Boxes

Hello All,

I'm sorry it's time for another oddball question.
In general, by this time in their lives, the fuse box in most 'Vairs has
disintegrated and is functionally useless.  The contacts are mostly crusty
with corrosion and have lost their grip on the fuse contacts.  If you want
reliable electrics in your car it is best to replace the fuse box with
something newer.  I had the same problem as you and solved the problem by
installing a fuse box from a junk yard Chrysler "K" car.  It's a nice
compact unit with a convenient orientation with one side devoted to items
switched by the ignition switch and the other, circuits that have 12V.
continuously supplied.  The wiring in a Corvair is so simple that it's
really easy to make the swap.
Jim B.
'66 Turbovert

I was chasing down an issue with a lack of power to my dash board and
discovered that I have a problem with the fuse box.  What I found is a
missing part or parts; I'm not sure which is correct.