<VV> 1965-1967 110HP with a/c low compression engine

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Oct 24 12:46:50 EDT 2006

At 07:38 PM 10/23/2006, LastHamlet wrote:

>What is really different about the Type B Engines????
>What did GM do different to make these engines
>originally run (In 1967, with 1967 gas), at 24 degrees
>BTDC. The specs call for the 1110319 dizzy in both,
>the same vacuum advance, the same engine
>displacement(110HP being at question),,,,,,,,,, So,
>what gives, and has anybody else ever wondered
>that???????

All that comes to mind for me is that perhaps these engines might
have, for whatever reason, been fitted with those nasty-ass
open-chamber heads ala the '65-66 turbo engines or the later smog
engines.   Not having seen a B type engine apart, I'm not sure.   I
have stashed away a B type engine with the 24 degree timing plate on
it, but I got it sans heads.  It's apart in boxes.   Not sure what
the crankcase number stamp is...  crankcase is mixed up with some others.

Those open-chamber heads required all sorts of ignition advance in
order to light the charge completely due to the lousy flame front
propagation resulting from a bowl shaped chamber "lit from corner".

>Cause what keeps sticking out in my mind, is what Bob
>wrote, and many others I have spoken to keep saying,
>timing set that high initially, is compensating for a
>bad design or something.

IMHO, those "bowl" shaped open chamber heads were certainly a bad
design, makes me wonder why they ever existed in the first
place.     The std squish-area 95 heads offer up the same range of
compression and work so much better, and do NOT require anywhere near
24 degrees of advance under any circumstances.

tony..