<VV> Re: Rant against Dealers was Confusion

Gary Swiatowy garyswiatowy at summitlubricants.com
Fri Sep 1 06:53:50 EDT 2006

> From: "henry kaczmarek" <kaczmarek at charter.net>
> Subject: Re: <VV> Rant against Dealers was Confusion

<snip>

> I was "caught" offering different than List prices on Parts at the Ford
> Dealer. The dealer asked me what I was doing.
>
> I explained: On this part (EGR Valve), in the retail market there's a 50%
> markup on the part from cost.  In this case of this valve, 80.00 list
> price.
> Ford List price was 277.00, but cost was only 55.00.  So I marked it up
> from
> cost 50%+, charged the customer 80.00, and he went away singing our
> praises.
>
> I then asked the dealer: You want to make 50 percent, or do you want to
> make
> ZERO when the guy carries his ass down the street and buys at NAPA?
> Reminding him he also got paid on "Inventory turn" which is calculated at
> cost, he decided I was on to something.  Not too long afterward, the word
> was out that if you needed a Ford "Dealer Only" part, START the search at
> Town Square, you'll get a fair break.   And sales went up. And my
> commissions went up, and the dealer and customers were happy.
>
> A Sonic (owned by Bruton Smith and Co) or a Penske owned dealership would
> fire  a parts man for that kind of logic.  As Chuck Said, they're
> interested
> in the bottom line only.
>
> Hank

Couple years ago I specifically went to a Ford dealer asking to get correct
replacement hoses for my 73 T-Bird. He said he would have to order them and
I would have to come back the next day. Next day I went back and found the
"correct" hoses he got for me were Gates brand instead of Ford, and the
lower hose was a generic flex hose as well. I pointed out that maybe I
should have made myself clearer but I wanted the correct "FORD" hoses, Gates
hoses I could have got elsewhere for cheaper. Parts man was not happy and
wanted me to pay him for sending them back............I didn't........he
would not even try and order me the right Ford hoses.
I did get my correct hoses from another dealer................

My son works for a Dodge dealer in parts, most common parts they get right
from NAPA, for the most part, only dealer only items come from Ma Mopar..

Gary Swiatowy