secret serial number, was: <VV> Box

LonzoVair at aol.com LonzoVair at aol.com
Fri Sep 15 07:30:19 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/15/2006 3:24:30 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
chaz at ProperProPer.com writes:

The last  half of the VIN IS the VIN, right ?

The rest is just body style ID, mfg  plant, etc ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chaz,
Well, no.... the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is a unique
"pre-selected amount" of numbers and letters assigned to every vehicle.... you  might be
confusing "serial number" or "production number" with "VIN". It is the
inclusion of the manufacturing plant and body style ID numbers and letters that
make the VIN what it is. My 64 sedan *could* have the same last 6 digits as your
Corvair, but there's no way they could have the same VIN.... Same deal with a
61  and a 62, you could have the exact same color car with all the same
options,  with the same production number, but the VIN would be off by one
number-the  year...
Did I clear it up, or just muddy the water?
The Fisher Body Tag *might* give you a better idea of your car's number off
the line, since it gives BODY number and date assembled (but we're now talking
 the Fisher line, not the Chevy line)... you can have a 'vert and a sedan
with  sequential "last 6" numbers, but the body number will tell you WHICH  'vert
it was or WHICH sedan it was when it was made...
That's the way it was explained to me many moons ago.
Hope this helps...
Later,
Lonzo