<VV> JScams in general - timing is everything

Charles Lee at Proper Pro Per chaz at ProperProPer.com
Sun Sep 17 03:35:48 EDT 2006

Speaking of "long life" plugs, I have a Ford Escort (ZX-2) and didn't change
a single thing (except oil a couple of times, and tires, and brakes) in
110,000 miles.

I used to gauge when I needed a tune-up by MPG dropping, but apparently with
the computers, they adjust internally and give the same MPG until maybe they
die ?

Anyway, I figured that 110,000 miles was enough to warrant a plug change,
and sure enough, they were a bear to get out.  But they did eventually give
up their homestead in my DOHC heads.

Put the new ones in and figured that she'd thank me for the thoughtful gift.

Nope.  She wouldn't start.  Hmmmm.  Defective plugs ?  Got a new set, no,
that's not it.

Tried new wires.  Nope.

Did I break something ?  Knock a wire or sensor loose ?  Nope.

Drag it to a local shop who replaced the timing belt.  Belt was missing
about 10 teeth, and decided the very moment I installed the plugs to spit
them out !   Aaarrgghh !!!!.

Is this simply the way a Ford thanks you for your thoughtfulness ?

20 K since and no problems, so it was a small price to pay, I guess, but
maybe I should have left the plugs for another time ?  I wonder ?