<VV> Flooding problem?

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 27 22:25:31 EDT 2006

Just recently I've had the third instance in my experience in which the
gasket which seals the inlet needle seat body to the carb top was leaking.
This causes gas to by-pass the needle and continue to fill the carb after
the engine is shut off, until the fuel pressure bleeds down. Ultimately the
gas begins to drip from the cluster and flood the engine.
I can find no obvious reason why the gasket between the needle seat body and
the carb body should leak, but 3 of them have (2 of mine from the Clone and
one from a friend's Corsa- all primaries). The quick fix is to install 2
gaskets, reset float level to 1 1/8 and float drop per the manual, and you
should be good to go.
It's perhaps the fault of the thinner gaskets now sold for this application.
My old stock of gaskets are thicker and seem to seal better.
Andy Clark
1966 140/4 Monza Sedan
1966 140/4 Yenko Clone
1966 180/4 Cord 8/10 #60